THE COURT HOUSE - NOTRE DAME UNIVERSITY
Sunday 11th November: 10am - 2pm
Marine Terrace, Fremantle 6160
Notre Dame’s court house was the third magistrate’s court built for Fremantle in the nineteenth century. The first (1835) and second (1851) were constructed on Arthur Head, adjacent to the Round House prison. Both were soon used converted to dwellings and then demolished in the early twentieth century. This court house was completed in 1884, though its poor facilities were immediately noted.
Fremantle’s gusty sea breeze regularly blanketed the building in foul odours from the rubbish that lined the shores at South Bay (now the Esplanade Park). Letters to newspapers reveal that it was criticized for inadequate public seating and hygiene. It was replaced in 1899 by the court house on Henderson Street, a well-known Fremantle landmark. Notre Dame first leased the Marine Terrace court house from the State Government on condition that its heritage features were restored. Guests can now sit in the dock, inspect the bench, visit the magistrate’s office, and see the holding cells. It is used by the University’s law students for moot court.