ST TERESA’S LIBRARY - NOTRE DAME UNIVERSITY
Sunday 11th November: 10am - 2pm
Bateman Courtyard, Fremantle 6160
The University Library is the creation of the architect Marcus Collins who, in 1995, transformed what was then an empty, mid-century warehouse into a modern, industrial research space. St Theresa’s Library is integral to the intellectual life of Notre Dame. The land on which the building is situated was developed by the Fremantle merchant, John Bateman, who arrived in the colony in 1830 and was instrumental in the building of the Whaling Tunnel that sits beneath the Round House. The St Theresa’s site was used by Bateman’s family for dwellings, shops and warehousing. The hardware company, J. & W. Bateman, established by his sons, traded from the site until the 1980s. The current building was constructed as a hardware store in 1964. Much of its industrial heritage has been preserved and remains on display within the library, including machinery, rafters and wheels used for lifting heavy loads.