ROSS MEMORIAL UNITING CHURCH
Saturday 10th November: 10am - 12pm
Sunday 11th November: 3pm - 5pm
Corner Hay Street and Colin Street, West Perth, 6005
It is named after Reverend Daniel Ross who was minister of the church from its inception until his death in 1917. It was completed in 1917 at a total construction cost of £4,147.
The West Perth Congregation began in 1896 as a mission outreach of St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Perth City. A mission hall was established on land bounded by Wellington, Havelock and Murray Streets, followed by a church in 1897. With rapid growth, the Church became a separate charge in 1898.
The old foundation stone from the Havelock Street church was placed in the eastern wall of the new Church. In July 1918, two months after the death of Revd Ross, the church was re-named Ross Memorial Church. A memorial tablet was placed in the east transept of the church. Of Revd Ross, the Memorial Minute in the Session book reads, "The Session desire to place on record their sense of great loss occasioned by the death of the late beloved minister of the Church. They believe that he was a 'man after God's own heart,' whose single aim and purpose was to fulfil God's will."
This attractive Federation-Gothic revival red brick and sandstone building has stood as a central architectural feature in West Perth, largely unchanged since 1917.