CURTIN UNIVERSITY - OLD PERTH BOY’S SCHOOL
Saturday 10th November: 10am - 2pm
139 St Georges Terrace, Perth, 6000
In 1830, a Colonial School was set up and lessons were conducted in a number of locations including the Old Court House. In the 1850’s the Education Committee (formed in 1847) selected a location to build the first Perth Boys School. Designed by Colonial Secretary of WA, William Ayshford Sanford and Clerk of Works, Richard Roach Jewell, construction of the school began in February 1853 and was completed in 1854.The school was built in the style of a gothic-revival style church with the belief that it would impose a sense of duty, attentiveness and obedience on its pupils. In 1900, the Perth Technical College opened in the Old Perth Boys School and reinforced the original thoughts of ‘sense of duty’ with is motto – Truth, Beauty and Utility - emblazoned above the front entry. It was a classroom to many of the State’s most prominent citizens and a significant legacy, listed on the State’s heritage register. Curtin University’s leasing deal with the National Trust in 2015 allows the building to come full circle.